Police have arrested a suspect in connection with aearly Sunday morning in Sacramento, California. The shooting, which is the deadliest in the city’s history, killed six people and injured at least 12 others.
The Sacramento Police Department said it arrested 26-year-old Dandrae Martin and charged him with assault and illegal firearm possession after an overnight investigation. Police described him as a “related suspect” but gave no further details on his alleged involvement.
Police earlier said at least two people opened fire downtown as people poured out of closed bars. The video showed people at the scene sprinting away from the gunfire. Sacramento Police said preliminary processing of the scene revealed at least three buildings and three vehicles were hit by gunfire and more than 100 shell casings were recovered from the area.
In announcing Martin’s arrest, police gave no information about the search for other suspects – although they said search warrants had been served on three homes and “at least” one pistol had been seized.
The Sacramento County Coroner Monday identified the six people killed in the shooting as Johntaya Alexander, 21; Melinda Davis, 57; Sergio Harris, 38; Joshua Hoye-Lucchesi, 32; Yamile Martinez-Andrade, 21; and De’vazia Turner, 29.
The 12 victims injured in the shooting remain hospitalized. Police said her condition ranged from mild to critical but stable.
legislators across the country,used the incident to call for gun control and reform.
“We know those lives weren’t the only ones affected by gun violence last night. And we mourn the victims and families alike who are not making national headlines,” Biden said in a statement Monday. “But we must do more than mourn; we must act.”
Investigators previously said they were reviewing video shared on social media of a large fight that broke out just before the shooting, but it’s not yet clear if it’s linked to the shooting.