Sacramento Police arrest Smiley Martin after mass shooting that leaves 6 dead

Sacramento police say a second suspect has been arrested in connection with the weekend mass shooting Six people were killed and 12 injured. A police statement on Tuesday said Smiley Martin, 27, was seriously injured in the gunfire early Sunday and remains hospitalized but will be taken to jail once he is fit for incarceration.

He is charged with possession of a firearm by a prohibited person and possession of a machine gun.

Martin had posted a live Facebook video of himself brandishing a handgun hours before the shooting erupted, a police officer told The Associated Press.

Authorities are trying to determine if the gun shown in the video was used in the shooting, said the official, who was briefed on the investigation but was not authorized to discuss details publicly and spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity.

According to police, Martin is the brother of the first suspect, 26 years old Dandra Martin. Neither has been charged with murder, but both have had clashes with law enforcement in the past.

Smiley Martin had previously been sentenced to 10 years in prison for multiple offenses, CBS Sacramento reported, but was released on parole in February, according to the AP. The Sacramento County District Attorney’s Office opposed Smiley’s release, saying in a letter to the parole board that he had “little regard for human life and the law.”

“He has no respect for others, for law enforcement or for the law. If he is released early, he will continue to break the law,” Assistant District Attorney Danielle Abilgaard wrote in April 2021, according to CBS Sacramento.

Dandrae Martin is charged with assault and illegal possession of firearms.

Court filings in California and Arizona shed more light on Dandrae Martin’s criminal history, CBS Sacramento reported.

In 2014, he pleaded guilty to domestic violence in Riverside County, California and served 30 days in prison and community service. In 2016, he was charged with aggravated assault and domestic violence in Arizona and sentenced to two and a half years.

In 2018, he was again charged with domestic violence, misdemeanor and criminal marijuana violation. In 2019, he was found guilty of violating his probation.

Police say they are working with a lot of evidence — more than 100 cellphone videos and images, as well as surveillance footage. At least 100 shell casings were found from various weapons.

The arrests were made when the three women and three men killed were identified. The shooting happened around 2 a.m. Sunday, when bars were closing and patrons were filling the streets near the state capitol. Those killed included a father of four, a young woman who wanted to be a social worker, a man described as living the life of the party, and a woman who lived nearby on the street looking for an apartment.

victim.jpg
The Sacramento County Coroner identified the women killed as Johntaya Alexander, 21; Melinda Davis, 57; and Yamile Martinez-Andrade, 21. The three men were Sergio Harris, 38; Joshua Hoye-Lucchesi, 32; and De’vazia Turner, 29.

CBS Sacramento


The Sacramento County Coroner identified the women killed as Johntaya Alexander, 21; Melinda Davis, 57; and Yamile Martinez-Andrade, 21. The three men were Sergio Harris, 38; Joshua Hoye-Lucchesi, 32; and De’vazia Turner, 29.

Sacramento Mayor Darrell Steinberg read their names during a vigil Monday night attended by grieving relatives, friends and community members.

“So we’re gathering here to remember the victims and to commit to doing everything in our power to end the taint of violence, not just in our community but across the state, across the country and across the world.” around the world,” said Steinberg.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.