You can currently save the level 60 character boost that the Heroic or Epic Edition of the upcoming World of Warcraft expansion Dragonflight contains for your very small or brand new heroes, because solo leveling in WoW Shadowlands is currently faster than ever. The reason is in Wind of Wisdom buff that increases all experience from all sources by 50%. There are other options that you can use. Below we will show you what they are.
With the current World of Warcraft Shadowlands expansion, the heirloom items for leveling secondary characters have been completely revised. Heirlooms and other bonuses that grant additional experience were originally intended as a workaround for alternate characters to avoid having to spend over a hundred hours leveling up. With the overhauled leveling experience in Shadowlands, it’s now possible to reach the new level cap more than twice as fast as before. Because of this, the original high experience bonus on these heirlooms has been replaced with the following set bonuses:
- (2) Set: The consumption of bonus experience from the recovery level is reduced by 30%.
- (3) Set: Out of combat regeneration in Wilderness, Instances and Battlegrounds is increased by 30%.
- (4) Set: Gaining a level activates the Blast of Knowledge effect, dealing Holy damage to all nearby enemies and increasing primary stat by 40% for 2 minutes. Defeating additional enemies while the effect is active increases the total duration by up to 2 minutes.
- (6) Set: The consumption of bonus experience from the recovery level is reduced by an additional 30%.
Carrying a full Heirloom set slows the decay of the rest bonus you get from leaving your hero at the inn by 60%. That doesn’t sound like much at first, but it adds up to a lot when the character is fully rested (after 10 days, 200% XP for killing monsters and farming herbs/ores for the duration of 1.5 character levels). These 1.5 levels become 2.4 levels with 60% less consumption.
Experience points with gathering professions
Using the two Gathering Professions herbalism and mining you can currently bring in massive experience points. With the Wind of Wisdom buff and Tavern rest bonus, the gain is so extreme that it might be worth unlearning current professions and retraining until Dragonflight (unless you’re attached to them for some reason, e.g. engineering veterans ).
Bonus objectives in the Shadowlands
The second attractive option after collecting herbs and ores are the Bonus objectives in the Shadowlands, recognizable by the circular icon with crossed swords. Unlike at the beginning of the expansion, these are now done in no time at all and also grant 1 fame level in the pact of your choice upon completion. While the XP of these bonus targets is not increased by the rest bonus (only applies to killing monsters and herbs/ores), it is increased by the Wind of Wisdom buff and the War Mode XP bonus.
Experience points in comparison
Below are the experience points for a fully rested level 53 character with Wind of Wisdom buff and War Mode buff (10% more XP Horde side).
- XP for farming herbs/ore (each): 3,200
- XP for completing a bonus objective (duration approx. 7-10 minutes): 26,160 (excluding Monster XP)
- XP for killing a normal mob: 892
As you can see, solo speed farming herbs and ores with a very fast flight mount is by far the fastest option – especially outside of prime time when there is very little competition. Whether you war mode for another XP bonus, depends on the server. If you’re constantly being attacked, especially as a Horde, the extra 10% isn’t worth it.