The gap in the Jan. 6 Trump call logs was “suspectly tailored,” says Rep. Jamie Raskin

The gap in phone logs in the official White House record dated January 6, 2021 is “of significant interest” to the House Special Committee investigating the attack on the US Capitol, Rep. Jamie B. Raskin said Sunday.

In an interview with CBS News’ Face the Nation, Raskin, a Maryland Democrat, noted that a seven-and-a-half-hour gap in the phone logs for President Donald Trump’s communications that day covers the period when the attack on the Capitol took place take place.

Raskin said he and other members of the Jan. 6 committee were able to piece together some of Trump’s activities during that time frame based on other people’s interviews and testimonies, but there are still holes.

“It’s very unusual for us to suddenly go dark for seven hours to follow the President’s movements and conversations,” Raskin said.

When asked if the gap might have been due to incompetence rather than conspiracy, Raskin said the committee is taking that into account. However, he added that “the loopholes are suspiciously tailored to the heart of what happened” on Jan. 6, even as several lawmakers later said they would ask Trump to intervene.

When asked if the gap might have been due to incompetence rather than conspiracy, Raskin said the committee is taking that into account

(Copyright 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved)

Raskin noted that the committee is aware that the president participated in phone calls during this time, “but we don’t have a comprehensive, detailed portrait of what went on during that time, and that’s obviously of great interest to us.”

The Jan. 6 bipartisan panel is investigating the 2021 storming of the U.S. Capitol by a pro-Trump mob seeking to stop the Electoral College confirmation of Joe Biden’s election victory. The attack left five dead and injured around 140 law enforcement officials.

Trump has attempted to invoke executive privilege to withhold documents from the committee that ordered the former president last year to produce records of all his actions and activities on Jan. 6. President Biden has dismissed Trump’s claims for executive privilege.

Earlier this year, the National Archives and Records Administration turned over to the committee 11 pages of White House records from that day, including the president’s official daily diary and call logs from the White House switchboard.

Trump has attempted to invoke executive privilege to withhold documents from the committee

(Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved)

As first reported by The Washington Post and CBS News, these records contained no documentation of calls made to or from Trump on January 6, 2021 from 11:17 a.m. to 6:54 p.m.

Raskin added the committee’s mission is to “get a complete picture” of everything going on at the 6th election.”

Raskin said he hopes the committee can begin holding long-delayed public hearings in May and is looking for links between the violent uprising in the Capitol and what he called an “attempted internal coup d’état” being waged against by Trump the constitution was orchestrated.

“I’m confident that we can tell that story,” Raskin said, adding, “Obviously we’re hitting a lot of roadblocks now.”

Last week, the committee voted to arrest two other former Trump aides — former commerce and manufacturing director Peter Navarro and former communications chief Daniel Scavino Jr. — in criminal defiance of Congress for refusing to comply with the committee’s subpoenas . Raskin said the House of Representatives will likely vote this week on whether to refer Navarro and Scavino to the Justice Department for prosecution.

Like Trump and a number of other former aides, Navarro and Scavino have tried to claim they are protected by executive privileges and that the subpoenas were an overstatement by the committee. They are among the latest high-profile Trump White House officials to face consequences for refusing to comply with the Jan. 6 committee subpoenas.

(AP)

Last year, former Trump aide Stephen K. Bannon was indicted for contempt of Congress, which some Republicans warned of a “payback” that they could do the same to Democrats if they regain control of the House majority in November.

Mark Meadows, a former Trump White House chief of staff, also refused to cooperate with the committee, leading to the House voting in December to also consider him a contempt of Congress.

Separately, a federal judge ruled last week that Trump “most likely” committed federal crimes in trying to stop confirmation of Biden’s electoral college victory.

Asked about the judge’s comments Sunday, Senator Roy Blunt, a Missouri Republican who has frequently defended Trump and voted to acquit himself during his impeachment trial, was noncommittal.

“Well, federal judges are saying a lot of things and we’ll see how that goes through the process,” Blunt said on ABC News’ This Week. “I think the Department of Justice has a job to do and it should be doing it and anyone involved in planning or carrying out illegal activities on January 6th should be prosecuted.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.